Alex: So today at recess I was playing with Ellie and Charity-
Will: So you were playing with my girlfriend, and my girlfriend's friend?
Me: So Ellie is your girlfriend?
Will: Oh yeah. Since earlier in the year.
Alex: You know you're not allowed to have a girlfriend yet, right?
(Note: This is not something we've really talked about. Because, you know, they're in 2nd grade.)
Me: Well, technically that's true. You can start dating when Dad and I decide you're ready.
Will: Well, we're not *dating.* She's just my girlfriend.
Me: Oh? What does that mean to you, that she's your girlfriend?
Will: Well, it just means we might date someday. It's like being married. But not yet.
Me: Um.
Will: And every time Ellie sees me, she blushes.
Me: (because I like to ask them questions just to see what they'll say) So how old do you think you'll be when you're allowed to date?
Will: Oh, I don't know. 18 or 12.
No comments:
Post a Comment