Saturday, January 25, 2014

Accents

This morning, the boys and I were snuggling with pretty much every stuffed animal in the house.
Alex held up Edward, the bear I bought at Harrod's on a trip there to visit my good friend Melissa, who is from London. Melissa has visited us a couple of times since the boys were born, though the last time was 2.5 years ago so I wasn't sure if they still remembered her.
Me: "Did you know I bought Edward in England?"
Alex: "You did?! Why did you go to England?"
Me: "To visit Melissa. She's from England.
Alex: "Ohh. I *thought* she wasn't from here because she doesn't talk South Carolinan."
Me: (curious if he thinks of "South Carolinan" as "American" accent since he's fuzzy on city/state/country etc.) "What about me? Do you think I talk 'South Carolinan'?"
Alex: "No. You should talk Indian because you were born in India!"
Me: "Um ... that's Indiana."

No comments:

Post a Comment