Friday, September 13, 2013

That was unexpected.

So Will and I were just having one of our semi-heated bedtime discussions about his shenanigans. This one was about how frustrating it is when he throws a tantrum if I don't do something he wants (i.e. spending a few minutes to snuggle with him at bedtime) ... but if I do it (after he asks nicely) then when I'm done he throws a tantrum anyway because he always wants me to stay longer.

I'm always so tired by that point in the evening, and the endless tantrums make it hard to stay calm ... but I did my best to calmly tell him it's frustrating when he throws a tantrum either way and it makes me not want to do it at all because I know he's just going to throw a tantrum when I leave, and it kind of ruins it ... and instead of continuing throwing a fit or getting upset, he actually listened quietly, with a thoughtful look on his face and then said, "That's interesting. I didn't know that." Has someone been teaching communication and conflict resolution skills to my 4-year-old?!

Sometimes, out of the blue, he just seems so grown up.

No comments:

Post a Comment